Satan busy around 1830's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Misc. Theological Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Satan busy around 1830's Reply with quote

I was just analyzing cults and other teachings and it seems satan was busy around 1830. It seems to me that it was in this time period that Mormons, Jehovah witness, dispensationalist and other teachings were started in this time period. Is it a coincidance?
Rick_C

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Steve has a lecture (or lectures?) about this but I can't remember if it's:
Mormonism, Cults, or exactly which (see the digitalministries page from "Topical Lectures" @ http://www.thenarrowpath.com/ (Steve's site).

Whichever one (or ones?) they were...he covers a lot of "New Agey" movements from that time period. Dispensationalism began around 1829; Christian Science, second half of century; the "New Thought Movement"...(see the "Word of Faith" lectures where Steve traces the "prosperity gospel" back to it).

I couldn't say if these movements were a coinicidence or not. It seems like Steve said that some people think this stuff was a fulfillment of some kind of prophecy---Oh yeah! "Satan being released for a short season" (Re 20:3b, 7).
Might be, I don't know....
Rick
Thanks, and God bless you.
Allyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree totally with you Michelle. I am seeing this in my trek on the internet. I actually welcome it for your very reasons but pray for the weak minded (no one here of course) that they may resist the devil's work in this area.
Paidion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was just analyzing cults and other teachings and it seems satan was busy around 1830. It seems to me that it was in this time period that Mormons, Jehovah witness, dispensationalist and other teachings were started in this time period. Is it a coincidance?

Maybe. The so-called "Plymouth Brethren" also began around that time period. Are they a cult? Some people think so, but I think they (especially the "open" brethren") are one of the best current expressions of the CHURCH.

I hope this post doesn't detract too much from the intent of this thread, but I just felt the need to say that some people are too quick to classify a group as "a cult".

50 years ago, Seventh Day Adventisism was classified as a cult. My oldest brother, who taught a course on "cults" in a Bible institute at the time, included this denomination as one of the examples of "a cult". Yet, this denomination is now accepted as part of the evangelical community.

A leading writer in a magazine representing a well-known fundamentalist radio program, wrote that the "two-by-twos" are a "dangerous and deceptive cult". I wrote to the magazine asking what was "dangerous" about these simiple, devout people. I also stated that I know a number of them and have never encountered any "deceit" in any of them. The editor of the magazine replied saying that his organization took no position concerning the group, but that the author of the article had lifted his statement from another source.

Some organizations which have been considered to be "a cult" have actually had a change in their theology so as to be no longer so considered. An example is "The World-Wide Church of God". When it was led by Herbert W. Armstrong and his son Garnet Ted Armstrong, it was widely considered to be a cult by most fundamentalist and evangelicals. But the organization had a dramatic change in its theology. It has even become Trinitarian. Now it is accepted also as part of the evangelical community.

It seems that it would be wise to define exactly what is meant by "cult" before relegating any group to that particular pigeon hole. Otherwise such classification could be defamatory.
Allyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One correction. There is still the official World-Wide Church of God that remains the same before their founder died but many left the church and began the reformed portion.
Paidion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it a hard term to define. But I would say that a group which is a cult often or usually has most or all of the following characteristics:

1. The group revolves around a single, supreme leader, who controls the members and is obeyed without question.

2. The members are completely sold out to the objectives of the leader or the group. Personal objectives, desires, and values are set aside for the sake of the leader or group.

3. Thinking is discouraged. Members are continuously bombarded with the propoganda of the leader or group.

I think there are some others, but I cannot bring them to mind at the moment.

It's strange, but the first two seem to apply to Christianity itself! That is when we consider our single, supreme leader to be Jesus Christ ---- except that Jesus doesn't control his disciples; but rather invites their
submission.
Allyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure now, Michelle. You have place some doubt in my mind now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Misc. Theological Topics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: