Speaking in Tongues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Misc. Theological Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post, but I visited a Church where the person who spoke in tongues also interrupted what they just said. Is that the meaning of 1Co 14:5-5? Or is someone else supposed to interrupt what was said in tongues?

1Co 14:4-5 He that speaketh in a tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. Now I would have you all speak with tongues, but rather that ye should prophesy: and greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
sab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first spoke in tongues in 1979 and still speak in tongues everyday. I was not a Christian until that very moment. I had heard about tongues from a friend 2 days earlier and it wasn't what he said that got me but how he looked - he was shining. He told me he'd been baptised and spoken in tongues 3 days earlier and it pooped all over meditation (which I was into- I was into all manner of New Age stuff - Astology, Tarot, I Ching, Buddism etc etc) I felt all huffy when he said this but I could see he had something I wanted. (ie a powerful experience of the presence of God) So I spent the next 2 days meditating and thought I'd go and get baptized to "see what would happen". I had read Revelation a few months earlier and was totally convicted of my sin after reading chapter 21 verse 8 - I was praying for forgiveness ever since. Anyway I went to the Pentecostal church my friend was attending and sat at the back - very hostile. To my surprise it was a talk about Revelation 13 and 17 - the Historicist version - about the Papacy and the Catholic church. I saw it made sense though I was thinking if they knock my religion I'll never come back. I thought I'll just ask for this Holy Spirit and get baptized and never come back.

I answered the altar call - that's when I heard people speaking in tongues for the first time - I was just amazed. I thought, "God I want you but you know what I'm like." and "These people are so straight and I'm so bent." The guy who approached me asked me what I was there for. I said I wanted to get baptized. He asked if I'd received the Holy Spirit. I said, "I don't know, what do I do?" He told me just to praise God and say "Hallelujah." I was surprised because in eastern religion you had to tie yourself in knots for years, so I said , "Hallelujah" and spoke in tongues. THAT moment I realised it was Jesus - Not Krishna, Buddha , Shiva or Allah but Jesus." I thought my whole life I've rejected Jesus and it turns out that He's the One I was looking for all along.

That was the beginning of my new life and also of a full-on interest in the Book of Revelation.

My daughters received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues within 2 weeks of each other when they were 8 and 10 in 1994. The eldest suddenly had a fear of Hell and really called on the Lord and the younger was just jealous when she saw her sister speak in tongues and wanted it too. My son still hasn't at 15 - but he doesn't pray very often.

My husband was heard to speak Arabic. My mother-in-law Flemish-french. A couple of years ago we prayed for a Filipino who spoke in tongues straight away - his language sounded like Latin or Spanish.
TK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAB-

when you say you "speak in tongues" do you mean that you are "praying in tongues?"-- i.e. praying for your own edification? if you are speaking in tongues in a public setting, has anyone ever interpreted what you were saying?

TK
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)
sab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually pray in tongues alone for my own edification but I have had a 'gift of tongues' on several occasions which was interpreted. The first time I operated a 'gift of tongues' was several weeks after I was baptised in the Spirit. I had been praying and fasting - I just felt a general yearning for something more. I was at a meeting and it was 'left open for the voice girfts to operate'. Without particularly seeking for it I felt the power go through me and words blurted from my mouth. Someone else interpreted it. I forget most of the interpretation except the very end which was 'children of disobedience shall burn.'

Although I spoke in tongues everyday in my personal prayer time it was more than a year before I gave another gift of tongues. I was waiting for an anointing as heavy as that first time - that didn't happen - other times it was just a gentle urge. How do you describe the anointing?
TK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sab-

thanks for the response. i am not going to try to explain the anointing-- i am sure it differs from time to time and person to person.

i was just curious about if you ever had an utterance in tongues interpreted.

TK
TK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your insight, suzana. what you have said goes along very well with what others have told me about their experience.

TK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Misc. Theological Topics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: