Speaking in Tongues
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Misc. Theological Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Speaking in Tongues Reply with quote

Steve, you said on your radio program yesterday that you speak in tongues. Is this a regular or irregular practice? Does it usually take place in times of prayer or worship? Have you ever done so in front of an interpreter?

I'd also like to hear from others on this subject with regard to your personal experiences.
TK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JC--

i too, am very interested in this topic. several years ago i felt rather strongly that tongues are not for today. those views have changed rather dramatically, for a variety of reasons, the primary one being that i know very Godly people who employ a "prayer language."

one of the mysteries to me is why the great majority of people that do use tongues in some form or another seem to come out of a pentecostal or other charismatic background. sure, they stress this gift and maybe this accounts for it, but one would think that if tongues is truly meant for today, then you would have a lot more people in other denominations (baptist, presby, etc) doing it.

TK
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)
STEVE7150

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pray in tongues when i feel the Holy Spirit moves me to. But i've pretty much only done it privately but as far as i can see it's ok scriptually because Paul said we can do it "until the perfect comes." I've understood the perfect to mean Jesus's second coming.
Micah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say for myself that I am quite jaded towards this topic. I attended a church once when I was young and every now and then during prayer time, in the worship service, someone would start blurting out what seemed to me utter nonsense. Then every single time the pastor would interpret it.

I guess since I am a very analytical person that I find speaking in tongues very hard to accept because it seems unverifiable. It's not like prophecy where I can wait to see if it comes true or not. I guess if a non-christian came in, knowing that they wouldn't believe in tongues either, heard the message and understood it than I probably could it accept it more. Other than that it just comes across to me as somebody wanting to feel like God has singled them out to be special.
Luke 16:17 - It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law.
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in the Assemblies, and I remember one Youth Camp speaker telling us that if we didn't speak in tongues, we weren't being "intimate" with God, and therefore he would say "I never knew you." (Knew in the Biblical sense)

Needless to say, I rushed to get baptized in the Spirit. Nothing happened. I tried to speak in tongues, but it didn't happen. I think maybe, in hindsight, that I was seeking the Spirit out of fear rather than love of Christ.

At this point I'm open to what God wants to pour into me, but I attend a church where tongues and the baptism of the H.S. aren't discussed. And my wife isn't so sure about the Gifts, either. Not sure how I should proceed, because I'm not sure my baptism in the Holy Spirit took.

On a lighter note, having grown up in the Assemblies, I'd really like to know what "shondola" and "hoondula" mean. Wink
schoel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth wrote:

On a lighter note, having grown up in the Assemblies, I'd really like to know what "shondola" and "hoondula" mean. Wink

Or the more commonly understood :
"Shouldhaveboughtahonda"
Laughing

My experiences in church growing up in the charismatic movement left me a little confused and jaded towards tongues.

However, it cleared up a lot for me when I realized that if God wants me to speak in tongues, He will provide me with that ability. Nothing I've read in the NT portrayed believers having to practice or seek the gift of tongues; it came upon them, many without prior understanding of it.

If God gives it to me, great. If not, great. My focus is on obeying Jesus and walking in the Spirit.
TK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's where i find myself, schoel.

i'm open to it but i wont try to force it.

T
MLH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not raised in church but a liberal home.

When baptised I was filled with Spirit and spoke in other tongues...
I didnt ask because I did not know about anything religious.
It is a real experience and when we need to pray and dont
know what words to say we can use a language that only the Lord
understands.
Paidion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in a home in which my mother and four siblings were Baptists. My father was not a disciple at all. When pressed by his sister, he would say, "I just don't have the faith."

Later in life, I did speak in tongues, but I never attained the "ability" to speak whenever I wished ---- only when the Spirit of God came upon me.

In any case, my aunt was an intinerant pentecostal minister. When pastors were on vacation, she would substitute for them until they returned. One Sunday, I visited my aunt in Thunder Bay where she was substituting. One woman got up and spoke in another language. I recognized it as Greek! I didn't know much Greek at the time, but I recognized the phrase "legei ho kurios" (Thus saith the Lord). It was uttered quite a number of times during the "tongues" speaking. The woman then gave the translation. I counted the number of times "thus saith the Lord" occurred. I couldn't tell exactly, but it seemed to me that it occurred about the same number of times as "legei ho kurios".

I was quite excited, and told my aunt about it during lunch. She said with emphasis, "I'm sure Mrs. Jones (or whatever her name was) doesn't know GREEK!" I wished I had had a tape recorder along, and analysed the Greek message.

I cannot understand why God had her speak Greek. As far as I know, no one in the congregation had any idea that it was Greek other than myself.

Any way, that is my one and only experience in hearing a person, under the influence of the Holy Spirit, speak in a human language which the person did not naturally speak or understand.
mywiferocks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a teenager in the mid 70's I lived in a small west Texas town and went to an AG church with my friend cause his mom made me if I stayed the night on Sat. night. I thought all 40 of the people in that church were crazy cause they would all break out in tongues at one time. It was confusion! I vowed never to go to an AG church again. Well, I now go to an AG church (God's funny sometimes) and have since realized that they were not in line with what scripture says about tongues and orderly worship. I really had to study ICor. chp's 12-14 a lot to come to grips with the whole issue of tongues. I really believe that tongues is for the unbeliever (ICor. 14:22). As an unbeliever in West Texas I was confused, but I wonder if it would have been done in an orderly fashion if I would have been drawn in instead of pushed away. I sure don't know a lot about it but I believe that if it is Holy Spirit led then the love of Jesus will cast out confusion and doubt. Titus 2:11-13
Les Wright

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paidion,

Thanks for sharing that.

I do speak in tongues myself, but I haven't publically.. at least, not so that I could be heard.

I also am critical of how tongues is used and how we cannot tell for certain whether a proephecy given in tongues it is from God and whether the interpretation given is correct, etc..

Anyhow.. I don't pray in tongues regularly; however, I believe I do have a wide vocabulary when I do. I do notice some repetition, but there is probably just as much when I pray in English...

Anyhow.. my initial test for knowing it is real is that I used to get all emotional when people would pray over me.. in a conentrated time when people laid hands on me and prayed for me... when this occurs, I started praying under my breath in tongues and since nobody exclaimed anything about the Devil being present or whatever, I figure its all good.. It also connects me with God and is a great subsitute for a repetitive 'oh God, oh God, oh God' type prayer when I am in danger or in an unholy environment and need protection.

Thats my contribution off the top of my head.. as I have a 2 month old on my lap..

in Him,
Les
TK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx, les...

my question for all of you who pray in tongues is simply this-- did it just happen or did you have to make it happen? in other words, i have heard someone state that in order to pray (or speak) in tongues, you have to open your mouth and speak. you have to start saying something. but if i just start saying something, how do i know i am just not making it up myself, as opposed to it coming from the HS? this is my biggest stumbling block to understanding this gift-- getting past the idea that it's not just me making sounds.

help!!

TK
Les Wright

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK,

Here is my story... this happened in 1994/5 when on a DTS with YWAM..

I believed that if the HS wanted me to speak in tongues, He would just do it for me.. speak through me I guess...

so, I went up and got prayed for to speak in tongues at least once and didn't even open up my mouth.. which would have been embarrasing for me (if I knew what others expected)... nothing happened.

Later that night/week, while in my own room I was praying and I guess I tried just speaking/praying out without thinking about what I was going to say.. I thought I heard myself say 'ardi ardi ardi', which is the same thing I used to say when in high school when the teacher turned his/her back and the class started to make a noise... (I was pretty immature back then.. if you and a friend both say 'ardi ardi ardi' when the teacher turns his/her back to you, it definately makes a loud background noise)... Anyhow.. that led me to really quesiton if it was just me making it up. I struggled with this for awhile.. but eventually seemed to be saying other things, which didn't sound like something I was controlling... It is kind of like hearing somebody else talk because you don't think about what you're saying/praying...

THen, since when I prayed this way with others around nobody seemed to 'sense' an evil presence of anything, I figured it probably wasn't demonic.

So.. that is my story in a snapshot..

So, in short, I guess you have to make it happen. The same would probably be true for using other gifts of the HS. The HS moves through us, but we have to do something too.

My biggest beef at the time (and stil is), is that people think it is so 'spiritual' to pray for others in tongues.. I don't think it is Biblical, and I also think it is more beneficial for the person if they understand what you pray for them about.. that way they can be encouraged as you pray... and don't just get left with thinking.. 'oh my, look how spiritual so and so is..

God bless.
Les
TK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx les-- that helps! i am curious about what people actually experience and i appreciate you sharing this.

TK
MLH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minister who baptised me most likely prayed I would speak with tongues...( charismatic church) I cannot remember tho' IF he did
or not....My friend said I came up out of the water with a new tongue.
I didnt really believe her and said, "No I didn't, well, several months later
it came rolling out as I was in deep worship to God. Everyone has a
different experience I suppose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Misc. Theological Topics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: