Yet another interpretation of "666"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> The Book of Revelation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjamin Ho

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Yet another interpretation of "666" Reply with quote

I know this interpretation is POOR exegesis (so don't flame me) but I couldn't help but be amused at this coincidence when I was teaching the Gospel of John with my small group. John 6:66 suggests an explanation to the symbolism behind 666. If we're not marked with Jesus Christ, then we're marked with 666 (John 6:66).

John 6:66 (ESV)
After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him (i.e. Jesus).

Rev 13:16-18 (ESV)
Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name. This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666.
Allyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another interpretation of "666" Reply with quote

Benjamin Ho wrote:
I know this interpretation is POOR exegesis (so don't flame me) but I couldn't help but be amused at this coincidence when I was teaching the Gospel of John with my small group. John 6:66 suggests an explanation to the symbolism behind 666. If we're not marked with Jesus Christ, then we're marked with 666 (John 6:66).

After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him (i.e. Jesus).

Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name. This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666.

Right on! I believe God's truth is revealed in just such manner as this. Every believer has experienced the Living Word and this is an example.
schoel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another interpretation of "666" Reply with quote

Benjamin Ho wrote:

I guess that proves the inspiration of the chapter and verse numbering
Wink
Perry

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another interpretation of "666" Reply with quote

Allyn wrote:

Right on! I believe God's truth is revealed in just such manner as this. Every believer has experienced the Living Word and this is an example.

Shocked
Paidion

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I think the whole answer lies is I Chronicles 6:66

And some of the families of the sons of Kohath had cities of their territory out of the tribe of Ephraim.
schoel

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paidion wrote:
Nope. I think the whole answer lies is I Chronicles 6:66

And some of the families of the sons of Kohath had cities of their territory out of the tribe of Ephraim.

Laughing Laughing
Nice Paidion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> The Book of Revelation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: