Help- Greek Scholar needed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Marriage/divorce
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Help- Greek Scholar needed! Reply with quote

I have a friend who is reading this female Greek scholar from the 19th century named Katharine Bushnell who says that women do not have to submit, to the point where she says that Abraham obeyed Sarah! Bushnell goes through the Greek, saying that hypotassō does not mean obey or submit in an authoritative sense. You can read the "lesson" here: http://www.godswordtowomen.org/lesson_39.htm

I have looked up all the verses. So, can someone explain to me (in plain English) the difference between hypotassō and hypakouō. I am attempting to respond, and since I am not a Greek scholar, Bushnell's arguement holds more weight with my friend than mine does!

Thanks!
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lis,

I wish I had time to answer completely at this time—though I am not a Greek scholar, this woman is not that difficult to answer. I am packing to leave for Europe before dawn tomorrow.

The woman you linked to has set up a straw man to oppose—she sets out to prove that a wife does not owe her husband "unquestioning obedience." Well, I know few-to-none Christians who advocate "unquestioning obedience" (perhaps this was more common in the 19th century church than now).

The example of Abraham being told to "harken unto" or "obey" Sarah's words was not a defining of their relative roles in marriage. She had spoken (as Paul points out in Galatians) prophetically, and God had to inform Abraham of that, so that he would not disregard her suggestion. The say word, "harken" or "obey" is used in 1 Samuel 8:7, where the prophet Samuel is told by God to grant the ungodly request of the elders of Israel, to give them a king. God's word to Samuel was not defining the mutual roles of Samuel and those elders, but was telling him to do, in this case, what he ordinarily would not have been inclined to do, because it was the will of God to judge Israel with oppressive rulers.

If someone wishes to discuss biblical roles of men and women in a context relevant to the positions actually held by today's Christians, this woman's chapter does not provide anything helpful.

The following link will allow you to download a helpful booklet that covers lots of related issues in a balanced and scholarly way:

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/OnlineBooks/ByTitle/2375_50_Crucial_Questions_About_Manhood_and_Womanhood
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Marriage/divorce All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: