Well?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Christian Living/ Ethics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Well? Reply with quote

Church Rejects Donation from Lottery Winner

comments?

TK
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pastor acted upon principle. I admire him for that! The law instructs the priests of Israel not to accept money from the wages of a prostitute (Deut.23:18), meaning the church should probably not receive ill-gotten gains. I don't necessarily see playing the lottery as the moral equivalent of prostitution, though this church (and others) might see it that way. Though I do not like the lottery, I would not turn down the donation. Assuming the church thinks they are doing God's work, what better thing do they think the guy can do with his winnings? Burn them?

Last edited by Steve on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
TK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the exact same thought, steve.

with the stats showing that the vast majority of lottery winners blow the money within a very short time, at least the money could have been invested for the good of the Kingdom.

I DO admire the church for sticking to principle. unfortunately (or fortunately) now some other church will likely reap the benefit right under their noses.

TK
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)
kaufmannphillips

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Anecdote Reply with quote

An anecdote here from the Talmud Bavli:

[Rabbi Aqiba] said to [Rabbi Eliezer]: Perhaps some matter pertaining to Minut [= Christians] has come into your domain and given you some sort of satisfaction, and on that account you were arrested [on the charge of being a Christian]?”

[Rabbi Eliezer] said to him: Aqiba, you remind me! Once I was going in the upper market of Sepphoris, and I found a certain person, named Jacob of Kefar Sakhnayya, who said to me, ‘It is written in your Torah, “You shall not bring the hire of a harlot...into the house of the Lord your God” [Deut. 23:19]. What is the law as to building with such funds a privy for the high priest?” Now I did not say a thing to him.

So he said to me, “This is what I have been taught, ‘“For the hire of a harlot has she gathered them, and to the hire of a harlot they shall return” [Prov. 5: 8]. They have come from a filthy place and to a filthy place they may return.’ And that statement gave me a good bit of pleasure, and on that account I was arrested on the charge of being a Christian....
Michelle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emmet! Where have you been? How coincidental, I was just speaking about you yesterday.
kaufmannphillips

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Hi, Michelle,

I have been very busy. I began an MA program last fall in Jewish studies, and have been teaching local studies in Greek and backgrounds to the bible. Besides work.

A lot of times, prepping a worthy post here takes more time than I can afford Sad . But maybe I can be more active again after the program is done later next year.

Shalom,
Emmet
Michelle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Reply with quote

kaufmannphillips wrote:
Hi, Michelle,

I have been very busy. I began an MA program last fall in Jewish studies, and have been teaching local studies in Greek and backgrounds to the bible. Besides work.

A lot of times, prepping a worthy post here takes more time than I can afford Sad . But maybe I can be more active again after the program is done later next year.

Shalom,
Emmet

Good luck with all that work! It's nice to see you again. When you have time, drop by again, but you'll find us on a new location: http://www.theos.org/forum/

Take care,
Michelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Christian Living/ Ethics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: