Rick Warren's Saddleback Showdown with Obama and McCain

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Presidential Elections
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
darin-houston



Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Posts: 134
Location: Houston, TX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Rick Warren's Saddleback Showdown with Obama and McCain Reply with quote

It sounds like a joke, but 8/16 at 8pm (Fox or Fox News, not sure of time zone), Rick Warren is hosting a civic forum "non-debate" with both Obama and McCain.

This has got be painful, but I can't help but need to watch like passing a car wreck on the side of the road.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michelle



Joined: 30 Oct 2004
Posts: 393
Location: SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rick Warren's Saddleback Showdown with Obama and McCain Reply with quote

darin-houston wrote:
It sounds like a joke, but 8/16 at 8pm (Fox or Fox News, not sure of time zone), Rick Warren is hosting a civic forum "non-debate" with both Obama and McCain.

This has got be painful, but I can't help but need to watch like passing a car wreck on the side of the road.

Darin, Since I live in Southern California, I've been hearing about this all week. I'm not very politically savvy, so forgive this simplistic question: Why does this sound like a joke, have to be painful, and need to be watched like passing a car wreck on the side of the road?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darin-houston



Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Posts: 134
Location: Houston, TX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
Darin, Since I live in Southern California, I've been hearing about this all week. I'm not very politically savvy, so forgive this simplistic question: Why does this sound like a joke, have to be painful, and need to be watched like passing a car wreck on the side of the road?


First, having such an exhibition in an presidential race is very unusual. I actually wish they would do it every time, so we'll see how it goes. What's so surreal is becuase much of the controversy surrounding Obama early on was concerning his relationship with his pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright -- google him if you want a flavor of the controversy, but he and his congregation seem overly racist and anti-american and full of racial rhetoric and conspiracy drivel. McCain seems to be somewhat agnostic but has identified himself with Pastor John Hagee as his "spiritual leader" of sorts (google him too). Neither Hagee nor Wright have much to admire in my opinion.

Gone it seems are the days of folks like Billy Graham.

Also, as to the "car wreck," after hearing the few things both of them have said on spiritual matters, having them opine on theology of any sort frightens me a bit -- my concern is that this is going to be direct many people's principle view of evangelical thought/ideas. I only hope Rick Warren can temper that a bit and he will have an opportunity to guide discussions at least well enough to give viewers perspective of more respected theology (notably about Christ).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michelle



Joined: 30 Oct 2004
Posts: 393
Location: SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darin-houston wrote:

Also, as to the "car wreck," after hearing the few things both of them have said on spiritual matters, having them opine on theology of any sort frightens me a bit -- my concern is that this is going to be direct many people's principle view of evangelical thought/ideas. I only hope Rick Warren can temper that a bit and he will have an opportunity to guide discussions at least well enough to give viewers perspective of more respected theology (notably about Christ).

As you understand it, the purpose of this event is so that the candidates can opine on theology? That is interesting. Also interesting is the idea that the men hoping to be the President of the United States will shape the country's view of evangelicalism.


Last edited by Michelle on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darin-houston



Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Posts: 134
Location: Houston, TX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
As you understand it, the purpose of this event is so that the candidates can opine on theology? That is interesting. Also interesting is the idea that the men hoping to be the President of the United States will shape the countries view of evangelicalism.


Well, maybe not strictly theology, but not having seen much of the promo materials, I would expect them to opine on moral and spiritual matters, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michelle



Joined: 30 Oct 2004
Posts: 393
Location: SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, the LA Times has "The Saddleback Presidential Forum" listed as showing on a local station at 5 p.m. (Pacific Time) and CNN at 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. (Pacific Time)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michelle



Joined: 30 Oct 2004
Posts: 393
Location: SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched it and I liked the format.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Presidential Elections All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

BlueSilver_C 1.00 Theme was programmed by DEVPPL JavaScript Forum
Images were made by DEVPPL Flash Games