The Bride of Christ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Misc. Theological Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The Bride of Christ is....
All of the believers that have ever lived or will live
75%
 75%  [ 9 ]
ME!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Some combination of the above
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Other
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

Rae

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: The Bride of Christ Reply with quote

What exactly is the bride of Christ? What scriptures back up your view? If you don't believe it is an individual thing, why? If you do believe it is an individual thing (or a combination), why?

Is Jesus my bridegroom, or the Church's bridegroom? Or is a distinction even necessary?

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings
darin-houston

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I included myself since I'm included in that group of believers. I see it as a collective reference. I guess I don't appreciate the gist of the question.

God wrote:
Isaiah 54:5 (speaking of Israel)

5"For your husband is your Maker,
Whose name is the LORD of hosts;
And your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel,
Who is called the God of all the earth.
6"For the LORD has called you,
Like a wife forsaken and grieved in spirit,
Even like a wife of one's youth when she is rejected,"
Says your God.

Revelation 21

2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband.
9 Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and spoke with me, saying, "Come here, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb."
Rae

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should give some background information as to why I brought this up....

I have a friend who emailed me the following this morning:

Quote:
My friend and I were talking this past Monday about what it means to be the bride of Christ. We know that the Church is the Bride of Christ but we were wandering if there was any biblical reference towards us as individuals being the bride of Christ? In the study that I did this summer over the Song of Solomon I came out of it yes knowing the the Church is the Bride, but also feeling as His bride individually.

At church a few months ago our pastor made a comment that the belief that an individual would be the Bride of Christ is the biggest heresy in the church today. This really scared my friend and I because we had viewed ourselves as the bride individually and Jesus Christ our husband. I mean in studying the Song of Solomon through a bridal paradigm this is how I received the teaching this summer. I went back and listened to the sermon that my pastor said that in and it is sandwiched right between him talking about how the church has become a lot of people just coming Sunday morning to get what they want and not living in the community and fellowship for the sake of building up the body. When I received the lesson this summer about being the bride of Christ it never once caused me to keep to myself what I learned of the Lord's love, but instead caused me to want to share the greatness and sweetness of it.

I hope that clarifies it a little more.

Last edited by Rae on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rae

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The distinction in the poll question was intended to refer to a collective or an individualistic mentality regarding His bride.

If one believes that you can fall away (which I tend to lean towards), then someone may or may not endure to the end, thus they might not end up being part of the bride of Christ. But yet The Church is still the bride of Christ collectively no matter what. That's where I see the distinction, which is why I voted for the first option.

darin-houston

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would share in your discomfort, Michelle. It can't go without saying that the nuns believe they are His bride, and if I recall correctly, they even wear wedding rings (as do their priests?)
Paidion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The assembly of Christ's people are called his "Body" are they not? If there not a difference between a man's body and his bride?

Other than John the Baptizer's words in John 3:29, all references to the bride are found in the book of Revelation. In my view, the bride of Christ are the manifested sons and daughters of God for which the whole creation is yearning. They are the overcomers described in Revelation, the "blessed and holy ones" who share in the first resurrection. To my mind, the bride is a special group from among all disciples whose righteousness and devotion is excellent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Misc. Theological Topics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: