Filled with the Spirit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Misc. Theological Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darin-houston

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Filled with the Spirit Reply with quote

I am re-listening to Steve's lectures on Charisma and Character. Someone close to me was asking me about the Holy Spirit -- she is clearly a Christian, and desires to do God's will, but when it comes to the fruits of the Spirit, she feels she is "doing it herself" and wishes it came from her heart instead of her head as she does works to love others, etc. Basically, she knows the Spirit dwells within her because the bible tells her it is, but she doesn't feel she has a "new heart" when it comes to the fruits of the Spirit.

I'm not sure how to counsel her. I'm hoping listening to this again will help, but if anyone has ideas, I would welcome them.
Paidion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jesus and his Father are in us according to Jesus' promise, then they are doing their work within us, motivating us to be conformed to the image of the Son, as we move on the narrow road toward completion as saints.

It will always seem as if we are doing the works of God ourselves, because have been given a free will, and so we are doing them of our own free will, but in submission to Christ.

I think we just need to rest on the words that Paul wrote in
Philipians 2:12,13:

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed— not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence— continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. NIV

The promise is that it is God who works in us to will and to act according to his good purpose, even if it seem as we ourselves are doing it. For God gives us the desire to act, and the grace to carry out his intentions. The regenerate person still acts from his own will, but it is now in harmony with God's will.

God does not operate within us in a sovereign fashion, but works with us, as we coöperate with him. Paul indicated this when he wrote:

Working together with him, then, we entreat you not to accept the grace of God in vain. 2 Corinthians 6:1
TK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this one:

Quote:
Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Eph. 3:20-21

most christians can rattle off the first part of this verse, but forget about the italicized portion.

TK
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)
Allyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK, I like those also.

How about these concerning the Holy Spirit:

2 Corinthians 1:22
set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

2 Corinthians 5:5
Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
Rick_C

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darin,

What does she mean by having a "new heart"?
We only have one heart...and Jesus lives inside it, Smile

Does she desire to get a certain "good feeling" from doing right things?
Or does she think she should have a good feeling first, before she does them?

As far as I know about what the Bible teaches, a good feeling may or may not be present before we do right or good things (fruit of the Spirit). However, knowing that we did the right/good thing after we've done it should be "rewarding" whether we get a feeling from it or not, just knowing that we did (it), God's will.

I would encourage her to know that God sees what she does and is well pleased.
I don't know if this helps any.
Thanks, and God bless you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Misc. Theological Topics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: