G.K. Beale: Insights from the Book of Revelation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Misc. Theological Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Re: God's Temple:
Christians (the Church) are metaphorically God's Temple.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Christians (the Church) are literally God's Temple.
100%
 100%  [ 8 ]
God will ONLY bring a future Temple down from heaven at the end of time.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Rick_C

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: G.K. Beale: Insights from the Book of Revelation Reply with quote

Copied & pasted from the Eschatology board:

Gregory K. Beale, author of "The Temple and the Church's Mission" (which I haven't read) has four free lectures on the book Revelation @ the preteristarchives site.

Link, with four of five lectures and an article:
Gregory K. Beale: Lectures on Revelation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited in: DEC 10, 2007
Here are all five lectures:
G.K. Beale,
Seminar on Revelation

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beale is described as "evangelical, amillennial, idealist, and historical preterist" (aka, partial-preterist, of the 'orthodox' kind). His four lectures are: "Why the New Heaven and the New Earth are Equated with the Temple (parts one and two), The Two Witnesses in Revelation, and The Key to Understanding Symbolism" and are well presented (though at times he speaks in a low voice and was hard to hear, for me anyway).

I haven't really read or studied much on the "idealist" view of the book of Revelation as it is usually described as depicting "the great conflict between good and evil throughout history" and "the view held by most liberals". Anyone who reads Revelation can see it depicts Good V. Evil, as far as that may go.

Till not long ago I wasn't all that interested in "idealism" as I thought it wouldn't have much 'new' to say; I assumed it be would the standard liberal 'mythological [heilsgeschikte, German, "history of religions") view'. But fairly recently, a friend of mine (I know from the web) who is something of a minor expert on Revelation, teaching it in his church, said his view was idealist. This man is a 'solid and scholarly' Christian...so he'd gotten my curiosity up on idealism. I 'accidentally' found Beale's lectures while searching for something else about a week ago....

After listening to Beale's lectures about three times now, I want to go through them again. A good portion of his presentations cover Revelation 21-22, especially the New Heavens and Earth, the Temple, and the New Jerusalem "coming down from God" to be among men.

In Beale's view, he believes---as Steve Gregg points out in his lectures 'on the different views of Revelation'---that the Church is the actual dwelling of God on earth in His Temple. In other words, the Temple in Revelation 21 isn't a merely a future "place" we will go to after we die or at the end of history as we know it. Rather, we ARE that Temple, which is already on earth [in us] and is "expanding its borders and being built," says Beale.

Peter and Paul taught believers are God's Temple, as we know. But I'll admit I've always seen this 'metaphorically' and haven't taken it all that seriously in terms of what it might mean (seeing it as only a very good metaphor). But Beale, a professional scholar who appears to have devoted considerable time in his studies of Revelation, sees the Church as literally the Temple of God! ... while at the same time acknowledging a future and final realization of it at the end of the age.

Considering what Beale proposes is fascinating and challenging. Is Revelation 21 already in partial-and-ongoing fulfillment? Can we help build God's Temple? and see God's-and-our finished work when we see Him face to face? Does Beale mean to say we're in partnership with God and are already, and have been, making that Great Temple of Revelaton 21? We're also already "in" it? Well, these things are what Greg Beale sez!

Staggering! ... to me anyway!
(I've not thought about it like this all that seriously before)....
Wow-E, Shocked
Rick

P.S. Those who have heard Steve Gregg's Revelation lectures will hear similar recurring themes like, "The Old Testament interprets the New Testament." This is good stuff, whether you might agree with Beale or not!
Thanks, and God bless you.

Last edited by Rick_C on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:35 am; edited 3 times in total
Rick_C

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote: Christians (the Church) are literally God's Temple. I like a lot of what Beale says about this....give him a listen!
Rick
Father_of_five

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interpret Revelation from an "idealist" viewpoint and see Chapters 20-22 as a present reality.

Todd
STEVE7150

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather, we ARE that Temple, which is already on earth [in us] and is "expanding its borders and being built," says Beale.

I'm a historicist because it seems to make sense and flow naturally yet does not mostly repeat what has already been said. The preterist view repeats the prophecies about the destruction of Jerusalem in the synoptics. Do we need the whole book of Rev to repeat what has already been said?
Peter said we are living stones in the Spiritual Temple of God which may sound similar to this view, and this would imply that the temple is still being built.
But i love Rev and i will listen to the sermons and try to remain open minded.
Rick_C

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an excerpt from Beale's book:
The Temple and the Church's Mission

Here's a snippet from the introduction (click the link)....
http://www.wvss.com/forumc/viewtopic.php?t=954

Rick

Last edited by Rick_C on Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Paidion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then came one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues, and spoke to me, saying, "Come, I will show you the Bride, the wife of the Lamb." And in the Spirit he carried me away to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God. Revelation 21:9,10

Here the angel clearly announces to John that he is about to see "the wife of the Lamb". John then sees a vision of the New Jerusalem. I am not sure that "the wife of the Lamb" is the same thing as "the Church". In any case, it seems that every detail of the description of the Holy City is symbolic of the wife of the Lamb. I would love to know what each of the precious jewels embedded in the foundations of the wall, represents.

And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. Revelation 21:22

Here John seems to say very plainly that Almighty God and the Lamb are the temple. So I can't understand why this is not one of the options in your poll, nor why you and Beal think the Church is the temple.
Rick_C

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paidion,

I suggest you give the series a listen.
Here are all five lectures (the link in my first post only had four).
I just edited in all five in my first post. But here they are also:
G.K. Beale,
Seminar on Revelation

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Family Bible Fellowship Forum Index -> Misc. Theological Topics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: